Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Objective
In our Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session, we have technical ball skills and ball manipulation drills, followed by small sided game in tight spaces to quickly get out of pressure. In this session, we would like to improve our dribbling and penetration skills by running with the ball.
Before we start, please find all of our soccer curriculum sessions in our overview page.
- Who – 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Primarily.
- Where – Defending half or Flank.
- When – GK possession, winning ball back defensive half.
- Why – Penetration midfield, keep possession under pressure.
- What – Width outside backs, support.
- How – Passing weight, body shape, combination.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Details and Stages
The US SOCCER curriculum its best practices is followed. This methodology consists of 4 stages within our Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session, focusing on progression throughout.
Every practice session starts with a light jog warm up and stretching. Every time there is a small break, players should look to play a small game of rondo when they are waiting on their team mates.
- 5 minutes of light jog to activate our body muscles.
- It is followed by 2 minutes of stretching.
- Total: 7 minutes.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Stage I – WARM UP
- The group will be split into 2 big groups, both repeating the drill left and right.
- MAIN: dribbling the ball to the first flag or cone, perform ball manipulation or a skill move, and move on to the next station. We repeat the drill left and right.
- PROGRESSION: ball manipulation such as toe taps, sole rolls, etc.
- PROGRESSION II: ball skill moves such as scissors or step overs, etc.
- Total: 25-35 minutes.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Stage II – SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We implement pressure from the opponent, direction to goal and transition from attack to defense.
- We have 4 groups total, playing 2v2 (+ GK), where the ball starts with the defenders to put the ball into play. We can add a NEUTRAL player if the number of players is uneven.
- PROGRESSION: Attackers need to switch the play from side to side before they can score.
- PROGRESSION II: Limit touches for the attackers.
- PROGRESSION III: 3v3 with possible 2 neutral players total, one neutral player per team.
- Total: 20-25 minutes.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Stage III – EXPANDED SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We require a slightly bigger field, and we have at least 1 big goal with a goalkeeper.
- Offside rule applies.
- We split the group into 3 groups.
- We have bigger numbers on teams, 5v5 all the way up to 9v9, depending on the number of players at practice.
- We play 5v5, 6v6 + neutral and/or GK depending on the numbers.
- PROGRESSION: limit touches for attackers.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Stage IV – FULL GAME
- All rules apply as during a regular league game.
- Players try to implement the lessons learned from practice.
- We play a full game with all players involved.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
- After the game, we will work on our core and abs with the following drills:
- 30 knee crunches with knees and legs up,
- 30 cross crunches with elbow to opposite knee,
- 20 leg raises,
- 20 cycling cross crunches sitting up,
- 30 flutter kicks while sitting up,
- 20 heel touches,
- 60 seconds plank.
Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session – Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
Coach Kevin is part of the Boynton Knights FC Academy Program, who are partnered with Boca United Football Club.
They are operating under United Soccer Development Academy (USDA) as South Florida Football Academy.
Thank you for reading my post about the Building From Back Dribbling Penetration Technical Session.
Please reach out to me if you have any special requests or topics for a soccer session. I will try and cover that in one of the future soccer session blog posts.
Would you like to schedule a meeting with me?
Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
USSF National “D” License (2017)
Phone: (561) 654-0485