Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Objective
In our Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session, we have a passing pattern, followed by small sided game in tight spaces to quickly get out of pressure. In this session, we would like to improve our passing, receiving and penetration skills by trying to build up from the back for penetration into midfield.
Before we start, please find all of our soccer curriculum sessions in our overview page.
- Who – 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Primarily.
- Where – Defending half or Flank.
- When – GK possession or winning ball back defensive half.
- Why – Penetration midfield, keep possession under pressure.
- What – Width outside backs, support.
- How – Passing weight, body shape, combination.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session
The US SOCCER curriculum its best practices is followed. This methodology consists of 4 stages within our Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session, focusing on progression throughout.
Every practice session starts with a light jog warm up and stretching. Players should look to play a small game of rondo when they are waiting on their team mates.
- 5 minutes of light jog to activate our body muscles.
- It is followed by 2 minutes of stretching.
- Total: 7 minutes.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Stage I – WARM UP
- The group is split into 2 big groups, both repeating the drill left and right.
- MAIN: this is a 3 player play where the central midfielder passes the ball to the central defender, who pushes the ball to the full back outside. Our fullback will dribble (or pass) the ball up field through the gate. The drill is repeated on the other half, and will make it a race against time.
- Core Exercises One & One
- We add a goalkeeper or central defenders who puts the ball into play to our central midfielder who will repeat the first sequence.
- Total: 25-35 minutes.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Stage II – SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We implement pressure from the opponent, direction to goal and transition from attack to defense.
- The game is played with the defenders and a goalkeeper against pressuring opponents. The defenders in possession play 2v1 in the lower half of the field, and 2v1 in midfield. The objective is to keep rotating midfielders when the pass is not available, until the right timing to play the penetrating pass.
- PROGRESSION: 4v2 to 5v3
- Total: 20-25 minutes.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Stage III – EXPANDED SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We require a slightly bigger field with 3 groups total 5v5 all the way up to 9v9, and we have at least 1 big goal with a goalkeeper.
- The Offside rule applies.
- Goalkeeper + 4 defenders + 2 midfielders play against the 4 (or 5) pressuring opponents
- PROGRESSION: limit touches for defenders and midfielders.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Stage IV – FULL GAME
- All rules apply as during a regular league game.
- Players try to implement the lessons learned from practice.
- We play a full game with all players involved.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
- After the game, we need to cool down by a group stretching session.
Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session – Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
Coach Kevin is part of the Boynton Knights FC Academy Program, who are partnered with Boca United Football Club.
They are operating under United Soccer Development Academy (USDA) as South Florida Football Academy.
Thank you for reading my post about the Building From Back Tactical CM CB FB Session.
Please reach out to me if you have any special requests or topics for a soccer session. I will try and cover that in one of the future soccer session blog posts.
Would you like to schedule a meeting with me?
Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
USSF National “D” License (2017)
Phone: (561) 654-0485