Building From Back – Objective
We would like to improve our passing and possession skills. In our Building From Back session, we have one or more passing patterns, followed by small sided game in tight spaces to quickly get out of pressure.
- Who – 2,3,4,5,6 Primary.
- Where – Defending half or Flank.
- When – GK possession, winning ball back defensive half.
- Why – Penetration midfield, keep possession under pressure.
- What – Width outside backs, support.
- How – Passing weight, body shape, combination.
Building From Back Session – Details and Stages
The US SOCCER curriculum its best practices is followed. This methodology consists of 4 stages within our Building From Back session, focusing on progression throughout.
Every practice session starts with a light jog warm up and stretching. Every time there is a small break, players should look to play a small game of rondo when they are waiting on their team mates.
- 5 minutes of light jog to activate our body muscles.
- It is followed by 2 minutes of stretching.
- Total: 7 minutes.
Building From Back Session – Stage I – WARM UP
- The group will be split into 2 big groups, both repeating the drill left and right.
- MAIN: center back will pass the ball to the left or right back, who will pass the ball down the line. The receiving winger will link up with the midfielder who passes the ball to the center forward. The center forward will dribble the ball back to the group and repeat the sequence.
- PROGRESSION: from 3 touches on the ball, to 2 touches on the ball, to 1 touch play pattern.
- PROGRESSION II: we add another variation by passing the ball to the center midfielder as a link up player.
- Total: 25-35 minutes.
Building From Back Session – Stage II – SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We implement pressure from the opponent, direction to goal and transition from attack to defense.
- 5v4 or 6v4 teams. We play our starting position for the defense upon building from the back. The ball starts with the goalie who will try and get out of the pressure playing against one pressuring center forward and 3 or 4 midfielders. The team in possession has a center forward playing high up the field as a target player, as well as high wingers and one or two central midfielders.
- PROGRESSION: Limit touches for the attackers.
- Total: 20-25 minutes.
Building From Back Session – Stage III – EXPANDED SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We require a slightly bigger field, and we have at least 1 big goal with a goalkeeper.
- Offside rule applies.
- We have bigger numbers on teams, 5v5 all the way up to 9v9, depending on the number of players at practice.
- We play 7v6 or 7v7 depending on the numbers.
- PROGRESSION: limit touches for attackers.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
Building From Back Session – Stage IV – FULL GAME
- All rules apply as during a regular league game.
- Players try to implement the lessons learned from practice.
- We play a full game with all players involved.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
- After the game, we will work on our core and abs with the following drills:
- 30 knee crunches with knees and legs up,
- 30 cross crunches with elbow to opposite knee,
- 20 leg raises,
- 20 cycling cross crunches sitting up,
- 30 flutter kicks while sitting up,
- 20 heel touches,
- 60 seconds plank.
Building From Back – Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
Coach Kevin is part of the Boynton Knights FC Academy Program, who are partnered with Boca United Football Club.
They are operating under United Soccer Development Academy (USDA) as South Florida Football Academy.
Thank you for reading my post about the Building From Back session.
Please reach out to me if you have any special requests or topics for a soccer session. I will try and cover that in one of the future soccer session blog posts.
Would you like to schedule a meeting with me?
Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
USSF National “D” License (2017)
Phone: (561) 654-0485