Short Triangle Passing Session – Objective
We would like to improve our passing skills and technique with short passing. In our Short Triangle Passing Session, we will have short 5 yard passing drills, followed by small sided game in tight spaces to quickly get out of pressure.
Every practice session starts with a light jog warm up and stretching. Every time there is a small break, players should look to play a small game of rondo when they are waiting on their team mates.
- 5 minutes of light jog to activate our body muscles.
- It is followed by 2 minutes of stretching.
- Total: 7 minutes.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Details and Stages
The US SOCCER curriculum its best practices is followed. This methodology consists of 4 stages within our Short Triangle Passing Session, focusing on progression throughout.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Stage I – WARM UP
- Warm up passing drill, where players will switch every 10 repeats.
- Groups of 3 players, 1 ball, with cones 5 yards apart.
- MAIN: 2 Touch Pass back to server, turn to other side, and repeat with the other server. Make sure to use both feet, left and right.
- PROGRESSION: We increase speed passing the back back using 1 touch passing.
- PROGRESSION II: We only need 1 ball where we play a quick one two pass and switch play.
- Total: 25-35 minutes.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Stage II – SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We implement pressure from the opponent, direction to goal and transition from attack to defense.
- 3v3 (or 2v2 depending on the numbers). The ball starts with the goalie to build up, playing a wall pass, and then passes long.
- We should look for a Short Short Long Y passing pattern to get the ball in play.
- The attackers will try and switch the ball to the other side as quickly as possible.
- PROGRESSION: Limit touches for the attackers.
- Total: 20-25 minutes.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Stage III – EXPANDED SMALL SIDED ACTIVITY
- We require a slightly bigger field, and we have at least 1 big goal with a goalkeeper.
- Offside rule applies.
- We have bigger numbers on teams, 5v5 all the way up to 9v9, depending on the number of players at practice.
- We will have a challenge free zone where no defenders are allowed. this will give the wingers time to cross the ball.
- PROGRESSION: allow 1 or two defenders in the challenge free zone on the wing.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Stage IV – FULL GAME
- All rules apply as during a regular league game.
- Players try to implement the lessons learned from practice.
- We play a full game with all players involved.
- Total: 15-25 minutes.
- After the game, we will work on our core and abs with the following drills:
- 30 knee crunches with knees and legs up,
- 30 cross crunches with elbow to opposite knee,
- 20 leg raises,
- 20 cycling cross crunches sitting up,
- 30 flutter kicks while sitting up,
- 20 heel touches,
- 60 seconds plank.
Short Triangle Passing Session – Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
Coach Kevin is part of the Boynton Knights FC Academy Program, who are partnered with Boca United Football Club.
They are operating under United Soccer Development Academy (USDA) as South Florida Football Academy.
Coach Kevin is from Belgium where he played at a decent level, he is a passionate and dedicate coach “for love of the game and kids”.
Appreciated and respected by many, therefore referrals available upon request.
Most importantly, thank you for reading my post about the Short Triangle Passing Session.
Please reach out to me if you have any special requests or topics for a soccer session. I will try and cover that in one of the future soccer session blog posts.
Would you like to schedule a meeting with me?
Coach Kevin Van Vreckem
USSF National “D” License (2017)
Phone: (561) 654-0485